Week 2 - Moving Home

My new home

It’s in Kanifing in the Kombos. By Gambian standards it is really good. I have plenty of room, running water (cold only of course, but that is fine), electricity (which has only gone off twice so far, this will change in the rainy season) and completely tiled floors (which I have spent about 10 hours cleaning. It seems the Gambian builders don’t worry about removing cement or grout!)
It’s also in a safe family compound which is locked at night. And finally, it has a flat roof which gives lovely views of the……ahemmm, unofficial rubbish tip (which is right on my doorstep!)

For the first few days I had 3 volunteers staying with me, Jodie, Marney and Julie. Julie, the Australian volunteer, will be based up country so will use my place whenever she is in the Kombos as her city pad. Other than them, I have a few cockroaches and spiders for company! (I’m trying to tape up any obvious holes in the walls but I suspect they will still find their way in.)

My Compound family havegiven me a Gambian name (it is the norm for that to happen), it is Bintu Sangyang. I have no idea yet what Bintu means but will keep you posted! It is quite odd being called Bintu rather than Jackie but I’m getting used to it. When I walk home lots of the local children shout 'Auntie Bintu' at me. I can’t really talk to them too much yet as my local language is still shockingly bad but I do chase and tickle them and give them biscuits. That generally keeps them happy! They do then tend to try and get into my house and climb up the windows so I need to try and manage that or my home might become the unofficial local playschool!

No comments: